Girl Howdy's Rhythm Section ...
Jeff Potter: drums
Great groove man on the skins, one the best in roots music!
Brian Rost: upright stringbass
Versatile go-to roots musician Brian Rost dials in the pocket and comprises the other half of our fabulous rhythm section - Boy Howdy!
Lillian Fraker: alternate bass player - dynamic, diehard, dyed-in-the-wool bluegrasser extraordinaire also subs on upright string bass.
GiRL HOWDY BIO
It's all about vintage-twang and classic honky-tonk...
Girl Howdy roars into town on a mission keeping the honky-tonk torch burning bright! This a 5-piece combo features an all-gal frontline tearing it up on steel guitar, piano, flat top guitar and soaring vocal harmonies, backed by a top-notch rhythm section on upright bass and drums.
Playing music from the classic honky-tonk era spanning the late 1940's to the early 1960's, Girl Howdy plays songs from such legends as Hank Williams, Kitty Wells, Buck Owens, Loretta Lynn, Ray Price, the Davis Sisters, Webb Pierce, as well as honky-tonk-inspired originals. Hogwild for raw twang, this band plows through their retro-based repertoire with energy, enthusiasm and utter devotion.
Girl Howdy's lineup includes guitarist Betsy-Dawn Williams, piano-pounder Paula Bradley, pedal-steeler Karen Sarkisian, thumpin’ upright bassist Brian Rost and groove-n-feel roots drummer Jeff Potter.
All are top-notch musicians who stay busy with a variety of music projects.
- Bradley has toured with the old-time string band "Uncle Earl" (on banjo) and with Bruce Molsky and Tony Trischka (on guitar), and currently performs (on banjo, guitar and ukulele) with the duet old time duet "Moonshine Holler" as well as leads her own jukejoint boogie & blues combo "The Twangbusters".
- Williams plays rubboard with the popular zydeco band, Slippery Sneakers, and leads a new rockabilly band, rhythm & blues combo, Lil Bee Dee & the Doo-Rites and has an original CD released on indie-Euro label El Toro Records;
- Sarkisian, a Berklee School of Music grad, can be heard around the Boston-metro area with a number of other band projects, such as Jenee Halstead Band, Big City Ramblers, Run 8 Rider, Luke Wetherfield, The Dixie Prix, Bryan Pero, & John Colvert;
- Rost plays bass with many northeast bands including the Tarbox Ramblers;
- and Potter on drums, plays with a beat you can set your watch to! Although he's better known as a rockabilly piano player both in his solo shows, and in Williams' band Li'l BeeDee & the Doo-Rites currently, and former played piano for Wanda Jackson, as part of the Lustre Kings, and the smash folk-rock band from the 70's Clean Living, and with Al Anderson's Wildweeds, who recorded on Vanguard Records. Any way you slice it, whatever he picks up, he's a groove master!
Girl Howdy has been bringing their country swing to festivals, clubs and dancehalls throughout the Northeast since 2003 and was invited to play at the 2010 Texas steel guitar jamboree in Dallas.
The roots honky-tonk mission of Girl Howdy continues, delivering tight vocal harmonies, spare yet punchy arrangements, an infectious honky-tonk groove, and above all one heck of a good time!
"Girl Howdy packs some serious gurl-harmony with classic honky-tonkin’ grooves." - Providence Journal
Introducing...the Gals... click on individual pics to read more!